Thursday, November 29, 2012

3 Common Mistakes Older Job-Seekers Make

Mary Eileen Williams has a great article about the 3 Common Mistakes Older Job-Seekers Make.  I love the article because the #1 mistake she cites is wrapped up in a personal statement I make all the time about avoiding competency complacency.

Here are the three common mistakes Williams cites:

1. The appearance of complacency
2. Hesitancy to toot your own horn
3. Allowing the media hype to get you down

Please read the complete article for her great insight and how to overcome these mistakes.

Other resources for older job seekers:






4 comments:

Career Sidekick said...

I think number 2 is huge, and must be avoided. Don't be hesitant to offer up reasons for why you're qualified and should be hired. You need to be confident in your skill set especially if you're an older job seeker.

Unknown said...

I am currently writing an essay on the following topic "Mistakes Made By Job seekers". And this blog entry has helped me a lot!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have more career advice and interview questions at my blog. And also phone interview questions and answers.

The HBCU Career Center celebrates 15 years!

Checking in for 2022! So much has happened as we have continued to grow  The HBCU Career Center.  Hard to believe we just celebrated 15 yea...